Monday, April 5, 2010

Orlan



At first, I thought Orlan was a very interesting artist. I really liked the art she did in the beginning. The idea of making herself the main figure in other paintings is genius. She fit right in the paintings, making very interesting pieces of art, even more interesting. However, I think she should have stopped there. Although I understand the message she is trying to portray with her varies plastic surgeries, I think that actually deconstructing who she is for art is too extreme. Surgery is a risk each time you participate and I personally don't think her message was really worth risking her life. I do respect that she cares that much about self image to actually put her own life at risk by transforming her own entire image. I think that her new found interest in photoshop is working really well. She has some very interesting ideas and designs. I find it even more interesting that now at her older age, she is no longer going through plastic surgeries, but has found a way to still alter body images through modernized photoshop art medium. It is a lot safer and she is able to alter the results of any image she wishes to create. She is still getting her messages across, without physically harming herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment